Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Buttons, Buttons, Who's Got the Buttons?

I am off to find new buttons and rings to join. We have discussed the Knitting Olympics tonight but I don't think I will join. Too much pressure to finish an item in just 17 days. I might stick the button on though just in support. Big Ups to Janna for helping me with the whole button thing. I joined the Southern Knitters over the weekend as I now consider myself an official southerner. Growing up in Maine I always felt a little out of place. After all, I was the only girl wearing makeup in my high school and dyeing my hair. And I didn't have one single plaid thing in my wardrobe. Even now, I still stand out when I go home.

I love going to Stitch n Bitch. I will be sad to leave my little group. We actually have about 90 members but most come up with some lame excuse as to why they can't come. So, I have come to enjoy the 5-10 people who do come and will miss them all terribly when I leave here. I am convinced that I will never find another group that I like. We don't all agree on everything but we are educated enough to know that you can respect an opinion without agreeing with it. I recently told DH (aka Charley) that making friends is too difficult - you have to weed out a dozen crazies to find one decent person - so I am not making any new friends. The friends I have now will just have to stick by me for a lifetime! I hope our new city has some sort of knitting group that is filled with a diverse group of hip people.


Better yet, I hope it has more than one LYS. We currently only have one. It has a good stock but you have to search the cubbies in the back of the store for it. To top it off, the decor, staff and customers haven't changed since the 1940's. Yes folks, they still handwrite receipts!!! Not only do they not have a computer, they don't even have a cash register! The funny part is - people will drive for hours to go there.