Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Friday, January 19, 2007

How I get by...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments about Piglet. He is definitely a keeper. The grandparent invasion has ended and we are all still alive and relatively sane. Now I have to work on retraining the child from the habits the loving grandparents formed. We are working on sleeping from 11:00 p.m. until, well, anything past 3:00 a.m. My parents babysat 2x – Big Boy and I were able to get in a dinner at a nice restaurant that didn’t have high chairs. Bonefish Grill is definitely a new favorite. I had Filet Mignon with garlic Gorgonzola butter sauce. Then there was the Rita Tini – mmmmmmmmmm! My parents encouraged us to go to a movie too but honestly we were just too tired and cold to go anywhere else. Besides, we had this waiting for us at home. It is Seriously Chocolately Cheesecake!
















As you can see, we all but licked the plate.



Big Boy’s parents were a whole ‘nother story. Can I just share my frustrations with you? Several years ago I came to the conclusion that it is possible to be over educated. MIL proves my case. She doesn’t know everything yet but is determined to by the time she dies so she interrogates people. I often know the answer to her questions but I say I don’t just so I don’t have to endure the Lightning Round that would ensue. She is also very condescending and while she claims to be a good liberal and wants us all to accept the poor, tired, huddled masses, she really prefers them to live in someone else’s neighborhood. She has never actually met a poor person! Anyway, here is what really pissed me off… I expected they would offer to baby sit on Sunday so that we could go out. Well, apparently the Patriots were in the playoffs and the game didn’t start until 4:30. There is no way they were giving up the football game for watching their only grandson. They also expected that Big Boy would rather watch the game than have time alone with his wife. Since they were not leaving until Tuesday (they extended a day!) I assumed they would offer for Monday night. Well, y’all know the meaning of ASS-U-ME. On Sunday night we had the following conversation:

MIL: You know, if you have something you want to do tomorrow we would watch Piglet. (Big Boy is in the background making cheering hand motions)
Me: Ok, let me think about it.
MIL: I mean, I’m not offering to watch him half the day or anything but just an hour. We could watch him for an hour.
Me: Oh. Um. Maybe I don’t have anything to do after all.

Kids, I can’t even go to Target in an hour or less. My final straw came when she called my Annabelle a dum-dum. Yep, you read that correctly. Piglet was starting to doze when Annabelle barked and his eyes popped open. Now, he is used to the barking and his eyes immediately closed. She saw this and told Annabelle she was a dum-dum for waking the baby. She said it twice so I know she wasn’t kidding. NO ONE PICKS ON MY ANIMALS! Needless to say, Piglet did not receive the love and snuggles from them that he received from my parents (FIL only held him once and then it was sort of like he was holding a porcupine). Anyway, it is over for a few months and confirmed our decision to take a family vacation away from the family. We are searching for a family friendly place to fiesta and siesta. Any recommendations?

On a knitting note - (after all this is a knitting blog right?) Has anyone out there made any of the Knit and Tonic patterns? I am thinking of buying the Essential Stripe and Something Red.