Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Welcome to 2007!

I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions. Whenever I try, I just end up breaking them. Instead I try to find new habits that are fun and good for me. It should be fun. I saw “100 Miles by April 1” at Knitiot Savant and decided that since I exercise anyway, I should at least have a goal (other than lacing my shoes and getting to the bottom of the driveway!). We have a walking trail near the house and eventually I will get comfortable enough with Piglet that I can add Baxter too. What’s more, Big Boy supports this habit. Of course he also supports my ice cream habit too. I’m not doing this to lose weight – although that would be a nice side effect – or to live longer or even achieve a goal. I am doing this because it is something for me and about me. It is very easy to become so wrapped up in your kids that you forget you were a wife, sister, daughter, friend and most importantly, an adult woman before.

This brings me to my second new habit – every day between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. is ME time. This means laundry will not be done, groceries will not be purchased or cooked, dogs will not be let out and the phone will not be answered unless the call is from a friend. Big Boy has been told not to call and ask me stupid questions unless it is life or death. Any shopping done during this time is all for me! I found that I was spending all day long doing house stuff and by the time Big Boy got home I was tired, frustrated and well, tired. I think it is important for Piglet to learn that mommy and daddy have their own time, separate and together, in which he is not the center of the universe. The other 22 hours in the day revolve around him so two hours will not kill him. Yesterday I watched a movie and worked on SIL’s sock. I am now ready to start the toe and then they will be done! Now I will order my yarn for my Lady Eleanor and actually have time to work on it!

So, how did ya’ll start off your new year? We went in spending money. We purchased a new vacuum cleaner and digital camera. We also took Piglet for his first pictures – he looks like a linebacker. Then, Big Boy finished up the curtains and pictures. A good way to start 2007!