Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rain Rain Go Away

…And don’t come back until I move away! It rains about once a week here. Normally I would not mind this but the school behind us has bad drainage on their parking lot, which means we have a pool of water in one section of our backyard. I say pool because Annabelle has made it her place to play. And, judging from the footprints on my carpet, she isn’t the only one!

The situation at the school goes farther than the drainage. Anywhere between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. we are roused from our bed by the sounds of the trash pick up. The industrial trash pick up. The banging and clanging of a giant metal bin. Last night the weather was perfect for open windows, that’s until the 3:45 a.m. wake up call. I’m not sure what woke me – the sound of the metal or the sound of the elephants running for the window. I know what you are going to say – this is preparing us for the baby. However, the crying child is expected and they will eventually sleep through the night. The shaking of the house is not expected! And it won’t go away for another four years!

Speaking of four years – Big Boy has just been full of good news this week. Apparently we will be here for four years instead of the promised three. Then, he threw this conversation at me last night:

BB: Did you say we were having leftovers tomorrow night?
Me: Yes
BB: Why?
Me: Why what?
BB: Why are we having leftovers tomorrow night?
Me: Because you are going out of town and said you didn’t know what time you would be back.
Big Boy gets a look on his face that tells me he wants to say something. I start to think that it had better be good or he was going to get a frying pan upside the head.
Me: Just say whatever it is you want to say.
BB: Well… we are having an office Thanksgiving party on Friday and I forgot that I signed up for garlic mashed potatoes a long time ago.
Me: *shooting darts with my eyes* Well, at least you are giving more notice than last year. Do you have a place to warm them up if I make them on Thursday?
BB: Um, I don’t know. I think so.
Needless to say, I will be making potatoes early on Friday and carting them to base because I can’t very well make his co-workers eat cold mashed potatoes. Last year it was 7:00 p.m. on Thursday when he announced that he needed a fruit salad for Friday morning. I think he remembered to remove the price tag from the tray I made him purchase at the supermarket!