Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Just Shrug it Off

We haven’t heard anything on the contract. Our realtor says the family is still thinking. Could they think a little faster?

The shrug is done! This ended up being both easy and fun – a combination that doesn’t happen very often. Please excuse the fact that I am wearing the sweater over a blue sweater. I promise it was just for the photo – I am not fashion challenged! Details:

Yarn: Highland Wool from Elann in Claret
Needles: 9 & 10, Crochet Hook and Cable Needle
Pattern: Noro Kureyon Book No. 18, Pattern Y743. This is my bootlegged pattern that I got from the LYS. The Knitting Fever representative didn’t know that the pattern was printed in a book so he sent it to the LYS for free!

The directions are not terribly clear and need a little interpretation. The back is knit from arm to arm. Each arm is 16” and the back is supposed to be 28”. I ended up with 31” on the back so I had to rip out and settle for a 29” instead. It is a little big but once it is on with a long sleeved shirt it should fit fine. The edge is done by picking up stitches along the back and knitting in the round. The pattern calls for 2 repeats of the cable pattern and then 22 rounds of ribbing in the size 10 needles. I thought this would make it too big and floppy so I did 2 extra repeats of the cable pattern in the size 9 needle and then 10 rounds of ribbing on the size 10 needles. There is a crocheted edging so I had to learn a little crochet. It is a chain three, skip one, slip one. This didn’t translate into the directions I had for crochet so I had to improvise – I think!

I also whipped up this little hat on Sunday. Can you see the little leaves on top? And yes, it is posing on top of a wine glass. It is done in Knit Picks Shine Sport. I was very surprised that Big Boy let me make it – he put his foot down on the pumpkin hat! The weather is still in the 50’s in Nebraska so a cotton hat will be fine and we won’t all have to dress like snow bears. I did a couple of swatches for the baby tart hat from Knitty but just couldn’t get it to work out for me.

Now it is on to the Angelina jacket. I managed to get the exact gauge the pattern calls for but I am really afraid this is going to be huge. The down side to this pattern – endless rows of 2x2 ribbing on size 5 needles in a DK weight yarn. So far I have 22 rows done and it has taken me several hours to get there. This is going to be a LONG project!