Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to FO I Go!

Can it be? Real live knitting FO’s! I am finally getting around to blocking the Here and There Cables Scarf from Scarf Style and the Hand Towel from Mason-Dixon. On Monday I found my foam blocks in a box and now I finally have enough empty floor space for blocking.


Details:

Here and There Cables Scarf



Yarn: Highland Wool from Elann in color 3681 (I think it was called Carmine Pink or Candy Cane Pink). This yarn is so soft and easy to work with. I used 6 skeins at 109 yards each.
Needles: Size 8 “Denise’s. It was a little tight on this size but it made the scarf nice and dense so it will hold shape during blocking.
Pattern: Scarf Style by Interweave

This was such an easy pattern! It is a 7 row repeat with the cable on the 7th row. The cable is done on each side so that the scarf is reversible! This is a gift for a 16-year-old girl but I wanted something that even her mom would feel comfortable grabbing on a cold day.

An Up Close of the scarf












Hand Towel
Yarn: Euroflax Originals in a chocolate brown. The label says the color is 18-2444-5.
Needles: Size 3 bamboo. Pattern calls for a size 5 but it was too loose for me.
Pattern: Moss Grid Hand Towel from Mason-Dixon Knitting


Up Close of the pattern.

This pattern sucked! It called for 12 repeats but I only made it through 10 before throwing in the towel – pun intended! The pattern just didn’t mesh to me. Usually you can see the pattern emerging after a repeat but I could never fully see it. This is going to be a gift for MIL and I pray she doesn’t ask for a second one. The yarn was really rough and it split like crazy. Now I am sick because I paid so much for it.

WIP’s
Noro Shrug done in Highland Wool. I had to frog about 11 rows because somehow I ended up with the back being 31” across instead of the 28” they called for. I was afraid that 28” would be too small over a long sleeved shirt so I compromised and made it 29”.

A toddler sweater from Mac & Me. It is a cute hoodie that calls for Blue Sky Alpaca Worsted. I am using Only Stretch worsted because it is machine washable! I would make a toddler hand wash sweater for myself but not as a gift. This is going to be for our birthmother’s daughter, who is 3. It should be nice and snuggly for a Nebraska winter.

Tonight I am going to start a Baby Kimono from Mason-Dixon. I realized that I do not have any sweaters for a 0-3 month size so the little kimono will be perfect. Strange that most patterns or store bought sweaters only start in the 3-6 month size. I guess the figure those babies younger than that don’t go out of the house!

Speaking of the house – it is coming together. I am taking today off from unpacking in hopes that it will make me a less tired, happier wife. I plan to spend the afternoon knitting, working on my blog and watching my Netfilx of the Office Season 2 – I have laughed so hard my stomach hurts!