Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A Quirky Meme

Thank you to Knitty McPurlypants for this meme. In pondering my quirks I have started to realize that I’m just not normal! I asked DH for help with this meme but he opted to plead the 5th.

Quirk- __–noun 1. A peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism.

1. I shake my legs in bed at night to help me fall asleep. Actually, it is less of a shake and more of a rock. I started this when I had a waterbed.
2. I bounce my foot up and down when I have my legs crossed.
3. I put the spices in alphabetical order. The rest of the pantry is categorized by food group.
4. My closet is organized by clothing type – dress sweaters, long sleeved dress shirts, suit jackets, pants, skirts, things that need ironing, shorts, t-shirts, casual pants.
5. I follow a specific order in the shower and when I get dressed in the mornings. Damned be the person who makes me change it around!
6. I cut all of my food into very small pieces. I choke easily so I cut up my food like a little kid. I can’t swallow pills so they get chewed or crushed.

If you would like to play along, consider yourself tagged.

The Here and There Cables scarf is done! I think it is going to be super cute on a 16-year-old girl. Actually, I like the pattern so much that I might make one for myself out of a lighter weight yarn – baby cashmere maybe? Now I am working on a baby hat that is supposed to fit a 6-9 month old but looks more like it will fit a 6-9 year old instead!

A knitting related question – why do so many yarns have knots in the skein? I found three knots in a very small skein of Baby Cashmerino and I have lost count of the knots in the Highland Wool I am using for a shrug. At one point I thought it was just in the less expensive yarns but then I started finding it in expensive skeins. It is very frustrating!

This morning I did a little LYS scouting. I hit Ewe Knits Kits & Yarn, Hook & I, and the Yarn Basket. Ewe Knits had the best selection and customer service. The lady working made a point of showing me the new stuff and telling me about their upcoming events. They also had yarns from local spinners and they had some unusual yarns I had never heard of. I would definitely make the trip down to their store again. The best part, they knew their product and they knew all the hip stuff out right now; something one would never get at Yarn Barn (and a thank you to my favorite kilt-wearing knitter for setting up their website). I still love Hill Country Weavers best and will miss them.