Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Let's Rehttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifminisce Together

I found this over at Sue Hoo's blog today and thought it would be fun to play along. She had posted it over at Elann, which led me to her blog.

What was your inspiration to start knitting, crocheting, crafting? What was your first serious or not so serious project? What would you like to tackle next (other than your significant other ;))? And last but, not least, if you could give one peice of advice to a beginner what would it be?

So here goes... My inspiration to knit was a friend having a baby. I happened to be at Michael's and saw the yarn and patterns and thought to myself "heck, I could do that". I bought some cheap yarn, needles and a "learn how to knit" book and taught myself. At the time I didn't know there was any such thing as an LYS, Stitch & Bitch or other knitters under the age of 65. My first project was a baby blanket done in yellow TLC from a pattern in a Leisure Arts booklet. I really want to tackle the Vintage Pink Cardigan from IK Spring 2005. But, the pattern is written for a 34" or 38" and I am a 36". Plus, the yarn I want to use is a little lighter than the pattern yarn so I have to rethink this whole thing. A piece of advice-don't be afraid to ask for help. And, don't worry if you are not at the same level as everyone else and don't care to be. It is ok to just enjoy your skill level and make beautiful things there. I don't know all of the technical terms, the famous designers or own all of their books and I am ok with that! I heard about a woman who only knit; she didn't care to learn how to purl and people gave her a hard time about it. It's her skill, let her do what she wants!