Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Monday, April 24, 2006

A little poem...

‘Twas the night before Monday and all through the house,
Some creature was stirring; gosh, I hope that’s not a mouse.
The puppies were all nestled snug in their beds,
While visions of a buffet danced in their heads.
And papa in his boxers and I in my cap (yeah right),
Had just settled down for a short night’s nap.
When across the room there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the lamp I flew like a flash,
Careful not to trip or else there would be another crash.
Annabelle in a corner, she shook like a leaf,
“Oh please Dear Lord, don’t make me protect them from a thief”.
And what to my wondering eyes should appear,
Baxter and reindeer?
Oh, could it be that Christmas came early?
Nope, just Baxter and a curtain rod, all shiny and curly.
He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot,
And he was wearing red curtains to boot.
He spoke not a word, but went straight to my bed,
For he was sure he soon would be dead.


This poem was written in honor of Baxter and my 1:00 a.m. wake up call. We have a curtain rod that is not too secure in the wall. The dogs love to lie under the curtains. Can you see where this is going? At 1:00 this morning, Baxter managed to get wrapped up in the curtains and pull them down, rod, hardware and all. It scared him so much that he headed for our bed, with the curtains and rod in tow. By the time I could yell, “what the…” Charley was untangling poor Baxter. I started looking for Annabelle and found her shaking in a corner of the room. Someone tell me again why I want kids J

I finally did an inventory of my yarn this weekend. I have 20,000 yards of yarn on hand. Probably more since I have several skeins that are missing a wrapper and I have no idea how much I started with in order to determine how much is left.

I am still indecisive on the Vintage Pink Cardigan. After talking to Claudine yesterday at Stitch n Bitch I realized that just making it in the two sizes offered to me would not work. The 34” with negative ease would be excessively tight, showing off the curves I like to hide. The 38” would be too large and not show off the curves that should show. I think I am on the right track with numbers for rewriting it to a 36” but I am just not that sure of my math and myself. I have the Ann Budd Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and in it, you design the pattern based on your gauge. I am now thinking of following their pattern for the set in sleeve, which is form fitting and then just adding the cable panel of the Vintage Pink Cardigan to the front. I just don’t understand why they made this pattern in such odd sizes. I read Grumperina’s blog about how she had to restyle the pattern to fit her and she had 13 pages of notes. She also frogged nearly the whole thing at one point.

Today I decided that I need a new shrug in white. Now I just need to find the yarn…

I am in progress on the shawl for my BF and I think I will start a curly scarf from Scarf Style this weekend. It will go to my 16-year old “niece”.