Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday Quote

Tradition is what you resort to when you don't have the time or the money to do it right.
-- Kurt Herbert Alder

When I read this I started laughing! It reminds me of the line I hate most "because we have always done it that way". I have heard that at every job I've held and needless to say, I usually have some well-prepared speech as to why that is just a pile of bullshit! Change is good people! Thinking outside the box is what brought us to the personal computer, fax machine, and well, electricity! I have found that often people just keep on doing the same 'ole thing because they are too lazy to make the changes. How does this relate to knitting? Ummm...Oh, I know... changing the styles that are presented in magazines is what keeps new readers coming. Changing the yarns offered in a store keeps people interested. Offering patterns that are new and forward thinking keeps folks coming into your store. My local LYS is seriously lacking in that train of thought. Why would they have shrug or bolero patterns when they don't even have a cash register - yep, they still handwrite the receipt. They have books for sale from the 1970's. The covers are worn and torn and they are still for sale. I think it is time to retire those to the Smithsonian!

On a fashion related note, it seems we are going backwards yet again. I was visiting the Target today and what did my eyes behold...strapless dresses with the poofy bottom. You know, like Madonna and Cyndi Lauper wore in the 80's. UGH! If the lace gloves or Michael Jackson jackets come back - I'm outta here! But even those hideous dresses could not compare to the, um, well, fashion challenged lady at the Starbucks. Picture it...hot pink racer back tank top, plether pants purchased in petite so they would look like capris but really looked like high-waters, hot pink plastic jelly sandals and rhinestones glued to the arm to look like a tatoo. Good thing I didn't have my coffee yet because it surely would have come out my nose with the laughing!



There I go again, talking about everything except knitting. Maybe it's because there is nothing exciting on that end. I am still working on the baby sweater for baby D. I can't talk about it much because the mom occasionally reads my blog and I don't want to give it away. The stripe sequence is very cute though! I have finished the back and will start decreasing on part of the front tonight. Yesterday, I went through all of my knitting mags and tabbed the patterns I would like to make. I also created an Excel spreadsheet of the list and broke it down by Summer and Winter. I still have to go through the patterns I have printed out and list those as well.



I guess that is it for today. I am off to down a bottle of Advil and take a nap. No, not really, don't anyone call 911 on me...that would make me the talk of the neighborhood! I just need to get rid of the headache that I have had since Sunday. Apparently I am allergic to Juniper - now if I just knew what Juniper was I would be set.