Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Why do people have to be mean?

Let me just say that it takes a lot to offend me. I am on a couple of knitting lists and have finally decided to stop posting at one in particular (I’m not going to name names because I don’t think that accomplishes anything). I had thought about it a while ago but decided to give it one more try. You see, every time I post I get criticism and rude comments from one particular person. This poster has been rude to others in the past and has even driven other posters away. So, why hasn’t the list owner done anything—good question! I joined the list to get knitting tips and make new friends in the knitting community but trust me when I say the criticism far outweighs the help I have received. I don’t understand why this person feels the need to be rude to people she doesn’t even know, people who have never been anything but nice to her. She isn’t like this with everyone, just us select few. I suspect that if one were able to look deeply into her life there are some serious issues there and she takes it out on people who remind her of them. Maybe she is missing something that I have and she is jealous. Maybe my life reminds her of some past hurt that she has chosen not to deal with (I say that because there comes a time in our life when we make choices and can choose to overcome our issues or we choose to let them overcome us). Again, it takes a lot to make me mad. Normally I would just ignore her but frankly, I am too old to put up with being berated for each thing I write. I will still read the posts from time to time and I will email other posters privately when I feel the need but I won’t be posting on this list any longer.

So, while I am ranting…I was reading about bloggers who had been fired from their job because of what they posted on their blogs. While I am a huge advocate for employee rights I have to say that if you are terminated and you are not taking the proper channels for filing your grievance then perhaps you know you are in the wrong and there is more to your termination then you are telling the world wide web. I have read about several people and not one of them have sought legal counsel in this matter but instead have sought counsel from knitters, waitresses, bakers and candlestick makers. Jeez people – why on earth do you need to pose seductively in your work uniform? Is it the best outfit you own or what!