Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Seems I Hate to Seam

I seamed the Angelina today and I was reminded, again, why I hate seams. I always have an easier time on one side of the garment than the other. The sleeves were an issue unto themselves. Next time I have a pattern for a garment knit all in one piece with the sleeves cast on increments I am going to follow Nona Knits idea for short row shoulders. I have some bulk under the arm and some areas that look a little weird but I don’t think anyone will be looking under there. I will try to flatten it when I block. Yeah, when…

I apologize for being MIA for the past few weeks. Sometimes I just have to take a break and hang by myself. Do you ever get tired of people? I often find myself wishing I were home with my dogs and my knitting. I already find myself explaining bad behavior to Piglet. I get frustrated with the junior high behavior of adults. Why is it we can be nice to someone in private but when our friend’s show up it is a whole different story?

Several things happened last week to bring me to contemplate the level of crazy in the world but this one takes the cake! I received an email from someone inviting me to join a new local knitting group and telling me about a “new” LYS. She assumed I didn’t know about the store because I do not have a link on my blog. She signed her name. I emailed her back telling her that I would not promote the “new” store because I had a bad experience there and have heard from many others about their bad experiences. I then received an email back asking about the experiences and a rant about supporting our LYS if we want to continue having them. (Frankly I would rather support a WHORE HOUSE that gives good customer service than a yarn shop that doesn’t. Ooops, that will get me a ton of spam) She went on to say that she has never met the owners but the partners are all very nice and I should tell the owner about my experience. Anyway, I started to get a little curious and well, you know what happened to the cat… I googled the email address. Whaddya know… the email address goes back to the LYS! That sneaky, sneaky____ (you fill in the blank!). This whole exchange was not some well-meaning, concerned customer it was the owner. She would have been more likely to get my patronage back (ok, not really) if she had just been honest from the start: “hello, my name is ____ and I own ____ and I am trying to get my name out there. Would you be willing to add my link to your blog?” Would this have been so hard? I still would have said no but not based on my bad experience. I recently found out that she went into another LYS and approached their customers about coming to her store. UGH!

Some good happenings… Benne has started a blog. A fascinating blog. She raises ducks and her stories about the Momma ducks, surrogacy and ducklings are sweet, exciting and sometimes a little sad. I love the photographs! I like to tell Piglet about the ducks.




Labels: , ,