Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

An Itch From The Clap?

I think I mentioned in my last post that I had a bout of contact dermatitis. Oh, how it itched and burned with no apparent cause. And, no apparent cure. I tried antihistamines, I mixed antihistamines, I stopped using soap (don't worry, I didn't sweat!), I changed detergents and even changed my coffee, and I took down my Christmas tree. Still. No. Relief. I itched... I burned... I didn't sleep. A second trip to the urgent care resulted in a cute 25-year old doctor who apparently didn't want to live to see 26. He told me he didn't see the red but since I knew my skin better... then he left the room before I could hit him with Piglet's goldfish crackers. I guess someone told him that you don't mess with a woman who is sleep deprived because he came in with a miracle cure. Prednisone. Yesterday I started thinking that I still needed to figure out what was causing my pain so that I didn't have a repeat episode once the performance-enhancing drugs ran out. I thought and I thought and just before my hair caught on fire it came to me... THE CLAP...



I know you are all totally confused now right? I had been working feverishly on Clapotis for weeks. I have not itched since I washed and blocked it and basically, got it off my skin. I know what you are thinking ('cause I am psycho psychic)...

  • Yes, the yarn is cotton/silk - I suspect it was something in the silk that made me itchy.
  • Yes, the yarn has been in my life for over a year (thanks for the reminder) BUT, I only touched it a few hours total and not a few hours every day. And, the project was never large enough to cover my legs, etc.
  • Yes, the yarn has been worked, washed and reworked. So, it is possible that it has something to do with the Euclan reacting on the yarn or my skin. Plus, when I washed the Clapotis there was a faint color in the water. At first I thought it was some bleed from the yarn but now I think it may have been something else in the yarn.
  • Yes, I wear clothes when knitting. However, I often have on my jammies and this thing ended up being long enough to drape across my legs and a bulk of my itching was on my legs, knees and ankles.
Here are the details of the Clapotis:

  • Yarn: Noro Lily Multi (now discontinued) in a yellow/pink/green/orange colorway. About six skeins.
  • Needles: Size 6 Options
  • Pattern: Clapotis
  • Mods: I added extra repeats to make it long enough to be worn as a wrap. I think I did 24 straight rows instead of 12. It is super long.
  • Who: It is a gift for a friend.
Oh, I have some yarns and needles for sale over on Ravelry. Check out my sale/trade goods!

Labels: , , ,