Knotty Purls

"Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica"

Friday, July 13, 2007

Rated R for Language and Violence

Sweet Moses in a basket… I would like to crucify whoever created lace and made it look so irresistible to me. I started on Clue #2 and worked merrily for 8 rows. I sat down to work on row 109 and got through it just fine. I was inserting a lifeline at row 110 and started getting cocky. Do I really need a lifeline every 10 rows? Who are these crazy people who have to keep ripping? This isn’t brain surgery y’know. Row 111. Yep, that is the one that did me in. Or was it? How could I possibly have an extra stitch when row 109 worked out just fine? So, I tink. Stitch by stitch I check to see if that is the one where I went wrong. NOPE. I tink row 110 because just maybe I didn’t drop a purl and made two instead. NOPE. Row 109. I think I see the mistake. There, right at the end. I just have to tink these few stitches and then I’ll be spot on… except… that’s not it. I tink further. Wait, what’s this? Well, I don’t know what it was, but clearly it is where I went astray. Whew! I fix the mistake and set about finishing off the row when… hold up… now I don’t have enough stitches. FUCK! Wait… something looks… funky… it’s a DROPPED STITCH. Oh bloody hell. I don’t really know what the stitch was in the three rows it has dropped and I don’t really care. I work it back onto the needle, finish off the row and set about counting… 97, 98, 99, um, 100? FUCK! How did retrieving the dropped stitch take me back to having an extra stitch? I tink… stitch… by… stitch… and there it is… a K2tog that somehow ended up only dropping one of the stitches.

Finally, after many, MANY hours I have finished clue #2. Right now she is doing a little light blocking so I can get a good look at her. Anyone want to wager a guess on the theme? Well, I don’t really care – I love it no matter what it is called.

I thought we could use a little summer happy. Here are my roma tomatoes fresh from my little garden, along with some cucumbers. The big cucumber… well, the photo does not do it justice. It was HUGE. Unfortunately it was not edible, as it had become hollow in the middle and very tough. English cukes are not supposed to be that large.



Labels: